Thursday, August 02, 2007

8 random things

My friend earthbound spirit tagged me for this meme. I have been shamefully late in responding. My apologies.

For those who might be interested, here's 8 random things about me.

1. My golf game has much improved this summer. My wife and I played "best ball" (where each of us hits the ball from one location and we play the better of the two shots), and we golfed a 38. This may have little meaning to a non-golfer, but par is 36. We shot a double bogey on the first hole (two over par), a bogey on the second (one over part), and then six straight pars before finishing with a birdie (one under par). Never in my life did I think I'd shoot a round under 40, playing best ball or not. This makes me happy.

2. The only thing that is missing from my golf happiness right now is that my older brother (who is living in Japan with his family) isn't coming home this summer. We have something of a golf rivalry going.

3. I'm definitely a "work to live" kind of guy, although I generally enjoy my job.

4. I'm regularly flooded by requests for money from all kinds of liberal causes nowadays. I think it started when I decided to make regular donations to the DNC. Ah, learning experiences from the Department of Unintended Consequences....

5. I'm currently planning a winter trip to Las Vegas with my wife, my wife's twin sister, my sister (and her husband), and two of my very good friends from college. We plan to golf, see a show, and hang out. Spending time with such good people (and getting away from the cold of the Midwest in January) seems much like heaven.

6. I think I learn as much from my patients as they learn from me. Perhaps more.

7. I believe I've learned as much about God from Eastern writings and philosophies as I have from Western ones.

8. I'm really very excited about the upcoming release of Stephen R. Donaldson's new book in the "Thomas Covenant" saga. I read the first book when I was like in the sixth grade. At Boy Scout Camp (don't get me started on my feelings towards that particular organization...). He's a genius, though for a variety of reasons I don't think those particular books will ever be translated into movies, etc.

4 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

Thanks for playing along with the random things meme! Your #6 & 7 resonated with me. I think I got as much from the patients I visited during hospital chaplain internship these last 6 months as they got from me. And, I've definitely been able to think about god in a more positive light through the lens of Eastern thought.

Peace.

Anonymous said...

I have a random observation about you, my not so random friend.
9. You are a gift to all who know you and I have been lucky enough to know for what seems like forever! Thanks for spending time with me this summer. I miss you.

steve said...

ES - I'm gratified to hear of others who've found their religious experience deepened by Eastern thought. And the thing about learning more from patients/clients doesn't change -- whether we're in this line of work for 6 months or 60 years, I think.

becky -- my dear friend, it is I who have been blessed to know you. I miss you, too.

Magdalene6127 said...

Presby though I am, I resonated with your #7 Steve. I think it would be the height of arrogance to believe that God does not reveal Godself to all people, but simply in different ways.

Hope you're having a good summer Steve!

Peace,

Mags